This research was conducted in the fourth grade of a private primary school in Gaziantep in 2018-2019 academic year in order to provide pupils with critical thinking skills. This study was conducted as a qualitative case study. 23 pupils participated in the programme. In a two-month study, they were given 22 journal writing titles to improve their critical thinking skills. They wrote their journals for 5-10 minutes at the beginning of lessons. At the end of the process, the pupils and the teacher were asked to write their views about the critical journal writing programme in the form of an interview. Data were analysed by means of NVIVO 12 for Mac. According to the findings, critical thinking and writing activities positively affected the pupils’ development of critical thinking skills.
- AKA R C. VE KA RA M. (2016), İlkokul dördüncü sınıf öğrencilerinin eleştirel düşünme becerilerinin bazı değişkenlere göre değerlendrilmesi. [Evaluating the critical thinking skills of fourth grade students according to some variables.] Uluslararası Türkçe Edebiyat Kültür Eğitim Dergisi. Sayı: 5/3, 1339-1355.
- AKA R VURA L R. VE KUTLU O. (2004), Eleştirel düşünme: Ölçme araçlarının incelenmesi ve bir güvenirlik çalışması. [Critical thinking: Examination of measurement tools and a reliability study.] http://dergipark.gov.tr/download/articlefile/50181
- BORICH, G.D. (2004), Effective Teaching Methods, 5th Edition, New Jersey, Merrill Prentice Hall.
- ÇAĞLAYAN ÖZTÜRK, Ç. (2013), İlköğretim sekizinci sınıf öğrencilerinin bilimsel süreç, eleştirel düşünme ve yaratıcı düşünme becerileri arasındaki ilişkinin incelenmesi, Doktora tezi. [Examination of the relationship between scientific process, critical thinking and creative thinking skills of eighth grade students in primary school, PhD thesis.]
- DEMIR, M., BACANLI, H., TARHAN, S., DOMBAYCI, M.A. (2011), Quadruple Thinking: Critical Thinking. International Conference on Education and Educational Psychology. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 12 (2011) 545-551.
- DEWEY, J. (1910), How Do We Think. FEAGIN, J.R., ORUM, A.M., SJOBERG, G. (2013), A case for the Case Study, The University of North Caroline Press.
- HALPERN, D.F. (2007), The Nature And Nurture Of Critical Thinking. In: Sternberg, R.J., Roediger, H.L., Halpern, D.F., (eds.) Critical Thinking in Psychology, New York, Cambridge University Press, pp. 1-14.
- JONES, K., MULES, R. (2001), Developing Critical Thinking and Activism. In: Dau, E., (ed.) The Anti-Bias Approach in Early Childhood, French Forest, Pearson Education, pp. 192-197.
- KÖKDEMIR, D. (2003), Belirsizlik durumlarında karar verme ve problem çözme. Ankara Üniversitesi. Doktora Tezi. [Decision making and problem solving in cases of uncertainty. Ankara university. PhD Thesis.]
- MCKNOWN, K. (1997), Fostering Critical Thinking, A Research Paper to Air Command and StaffCollege, USA.
- PAUL, R., ELDER, L. (2005), Critical Thinking and the Art of Substantive Writing (Part I). Journal of Developmental Education, 29 (1), 40-41.
- PETZER, A. (2010), The Extent to Which Teachers Create Classroom Climates That Nurture the Development of Critical Thinking Abilities. Masters Thesis.
- ROBYAL, R.A. (2012), Creating Critical Thinking Writers in Middle School: A Look at the Jane Schaffer Model, Dominican University of California, Masters thesis.
- SANDERS, J.A., WISEMAN, R.L., GASS, R.H. (1994), Does Teaching Argumantation Facilitate Critical Thinking. Communication Reports 7 (1). London.
- STEVENS, L.P., BEAN, T.W. (2007), Critical Literacy. Context, Research, and Practice in the K-12 Classroom, Sage Publications, London.
- TOPÇUOĞLU ÜNAL, F., TEKIN, M.T. (2013), Eleştirel yazmaya ilişkin Türkçe Öğretmeni adaylarının metaforik algıları. [Metaphoric perceptions of Turkish teacher candidates about critical writing.] International Periodical for the Languages and History of Turkish or Turkic, Volume 8/13, Ankara.
- WATSON, G., GLASER, E. (2002), Watson-Giaser Critical Thinking Appraisal, Manual, England, The Psychological Corporation.
- YILDIRIM, A., ŞIMŞEK.H. (2013), Sosyal Bilimlerde Nitel Araştırma Yöntemleri. [Qualitative research methods in the social sciences.] Seçkin Yayıncılık, Ankara.