The paper reveals modern problems of limiting, ensuring, and realizing human rights during crisis events in Ukraine. The unsatisfactory state of the social protection system of Ukraine in the pre-crisis period is revealed (including problems of unstructured legislation, excessive financial burden, etc.). The article analyzes the existing guarantees and standards of human rights during the pandemic (included in the selected international documents and the Constitution of Ukraine). Several negative factors faced by the most vulnerable social groups during the crisis were addressed (for IDPs – problems of displacement, residence, job search; for the older population – problems of social security, treatment of chronic diseases, movement restrictions, and relevant age-based discrimination; for the homeless – absolute insecurity from all manifestations of the COVIDfueled crisis; for the detained and imprisoned – problems of penitentiary medical care, postponement of amnesty and subsequent rehabilitation). The paper assesses the relevant normative documents regulating social relations during the pandemic in terms of their positive and negative impact on the above risk groups (facilitated with the analysis of additional financial aid and payments, legal restrictions, the impact of the increasing financial burden on state and local budgets due to quarantine, the unconstitutionality of certain provisions and the lack of adequate legal response from the Constitutional Court of Ukraine). Conclusions were drawn based on the analysis of the officially established strategy to combat COVID-19, supplemented by a prognosis of the long-term consequences of its implementation (the pros and cons of the selected strategy of simultaneous “hard” and “soft” quarantine measures, the lack of long-term care policy, unpreparedness for vaccination and the restoration of the pre-pandemic way of everyday life).
- Pension Fund of Ukraine. (2020). Official infographics of the Pension Fund of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/pfu.gov.ua/posts/2603656499762493.
- Ukraine crisis media center. (2020). IDPs and the COVID-19: Experts voice how to overcome socio-economic problems caused by the pandemic. Retrieved from https://uacrisis.org/uk/pereselentsi-ta-covid-19.
- (2019). The number of prisoners and detainees in Ukraine is lower than in many neighboring countries. Retrieved from https://zmina.info/news/kilkist_uvjiaznenih_ta_areshtovanih_osib_v_ukrajini_mensha_nizh_u_bagatoh_susidnih_krajinah_/.
- Official Bulletin of Ukraine. (2008). Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 10 December 1948.
- United Nations Human Rights. (1966). International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. URL https://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/cescr.aspx.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (1996). Constitution of Ukraine: Law of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254%D0%BA/96-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (2020). ‘On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Aimed at Providing Additional Social and Economic Safeguards in Connection with the Spread of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)’ / Law of Ukraine. URL https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/540–20#Text.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2020). ‘On Allocating Funds for Financial Assistance to the Social Insurance Fund of Ukraine’. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. URL https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/385-2020-%D0%BF#Text.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2020). ‘On Prevention of the Spread of Acute Respiratory Disease COVID-19 Caused by Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 on the Territory of Ukraine’ / Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. URL https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/211-2020-%D0%BF#Text.
- Zakharov, D. (2020). Starting from September all Ukrainian medical personnel will start to receive additional payments: the Ministry of Health stated the amounts. URL https://www.unian.ua/health/country/koronavirus-v-ukrajini-ukrajinski-mediki-pochnut-otrimuvati-doplati-v-moz-nazvali-sumi-novini-ukrajini-11137034.html.
- ВВС News. (2020). 2020’s Budget and Coronavirus: the Parliament cut costs and established a special fund. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/news-52269568.
- (2020). Coronavirus has created a risk of failure to pay pensions and outstanding debts of the pension fund to IDP pensioners. Retrieved from https://radnyk.org/noviny/koronavirus-stvoryv-ryzyk-nevyplaty-pensij-ta-zaborgovanosti-pensijnogo-fondu-pered-pensioneramy-vpo/.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. (2020). ‘On Amnesty of Convicts (to Prevent the Spread of Acute Respiratory Disease COVID-19 Caused by Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2)’. Draft Law of Ukraine. URL https://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=68676.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2020). Business Support Programs. URL https://covid19.gov.ua/prohramy-pidtrymky-biznesu.
- (2020). The Individual Covid-19 Aid Is Rescue, Not Stimulus, Money And Should Continue. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2020/06/29/covid-19-id-stimulus-money/#cbb68784b5b9.
- World Health Organization. (2020). Preventing and managing COVID-19 across long-term care services [Електронний ресурс] : URL https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-Policy_Brief-Long-term_Care-2020.1.