The aim of the study was a comparative analysis of reading preferences of elementary school younger learners in Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland. A questionnaire of own design was used, based on an initial exploration by means of focus interviews. Respondents were divided by their reading levels. The research sample consisted of 693 Slovak, 254 Czech and 248 Polish learners. Findings indicated similarities, but also considerable differences offering a possibility to draw knowledge on international research of learners’ reading preferences. The most important finding was the difference of the Polish sample correlating with the best results of Polish learners in international measurements.
- Australian Kids and Family Reading Report. Engaging Teens with Reading, (2016) Retrieved 2019/08/12 from: https://natlib.govt.nz/schools/reading-engagement/strategies-to-engage-students-as-readers/engaging-teens-with-reading.
- Babiaková, S. & Kasáčová, B. (2019). „Reading Preferences’ Analysis of Slovak Younger Learners “In ICERI 2019: 12t International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Proceedings Included at ICERI 2019 Conference. Sevilla: IATED, 2019, pp. 1356-1363.
- Konopnicka, I. (2013). Edukacja czytelnicza dzieci w mlodszym wieku szkolnym. Opole: Uniwersytet Opolski.
- Manuel, J. & Robinson, D. (2002). What are Teenagers Reading? The Findings of a Survey of Teenagers’ Reading Choices and Implication of These for English Teachers’ Classroom Practice. In English. In Australia 135, 2002 - January pp. 69-78. Retrieved 12/08/2019 from: <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234755295_What_Are_Teenagers_Reading_The_Findings_of_a_Survey_of_Teenagers’_Reading_Choices_and_the_Implications_of_These_for_English_Teachers’_Classroom_Practice>.
- Martino, W. (2001). Boys and Reading: Investigating the Impact of Masculinities on Boys’ Reading Preferences and Involvement in Literacy. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, Volume 24, No. 1, pp. 61-74 Document Type: Journal Article
- Národná stratégia zvyšovania úrovne a kontinuálneho rozvíjania čitateľskej gramotnosti (2016). (National Strategy for Increase of Level and Continuous Development of Reading Literacy), Retrieved 25/03/2020: http://zsss.stranka.info/stranky/zsss/F/subory/cg_narodnastrategia.pdf?PHPSESSID=b42aa96b4144705d00361c5218a63ff5
- Natov, R. (2017). The Courage to Imagine. The Child Hero in Children‘s Literature. Bloomsbury Academic, Series: Bloomsbury Perspectives on Children‘s Literature. London, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Retrieved 30/03/2020: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-courage-to-imagine
- PIRLS (2016) International Results in Reading. Retrieved 12/03/2020: http://pirls2016.org/ pirls/student-achievement/pirls-achievement-results/
- Sturm, B. W. (2003) The Information and Reading Preferences of North Carolina Children School Library Media Research (SLR) Volume 6, pp. 1-19. Retrieved 25/03/2020: http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslpubsandjournals/slr/vol6/SLMR_InfoReadingPreferences_V6.pdf.