We explore the relationships between job crafting approaches (task crafting, relational crafting and cognitive crafting) and work satisfaction among the faculty members of Northwest A&F University, Yangling, Shaanxi, China. The study reveals a significant and positive relationship between different types of job crafting and work satisfaction. Multiple regression analysis revealed a significant impression of task and relational crafting on work satisfaction but a non-significant impact of cognitive crafting on work satisfaction. Furthermore, the study indicates the importance of job crafting towards a higher level of satisfaction for teachers who are engaged in universities.
- Bakker, A.B., Demerouti, E., & Xanthopoulou, D. (2012). How do engaged employees stay engaged? Ciencia & Trabajo, 14: 15 – 21
- Beer, L.T., Tims, M., and Bakker, A.B. (2016). Job crafting and its impact on work engagement and job satisfaction in mining and manufacturing. South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, 19(3): 400 – 412
- Berg, J.M., Dutton, J.E., & Wrzesniewski, A. (2013). Job crafting and meaningful work. In B.J. Dik, Z.S. Byrne, & M.F. Steger (eds.). Purpose and meaning in the workplace (pp. 81 – 104). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Hackman, J.R. and Oldham, G.R. (1976). Motivation through the design of work: test of a theory. Organization behavior and human performance, 16: 250 – 279
- Hackman, J.R. and Oldham, G.R. (1980). Work redesign. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Hobfoll, S.E. (2001). The influence of culture, community, and the nested-self in the stress process: Advancing Conservation of Resources theory. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 50(3): 337 – 370
- Karasek, R. and Theorell, T. (1990). Healthy Work: Stress, Productivity, and the Reconstruction of Working Life. New York: Basic Books
- Leana, C., Appelbaum, E., and Shevchuk, I. (2009). Work process and quality of care in early childhood education: The role of job crafting. Academy of Management Journal, 52: 1169 – 1192
- Nunnaly, J. (1978). Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Petrou, P., Demerouti, E., Peeters, M.C.W., Schaufeli, W.B., and Hetland, J. (2012). Crafting a job on daily basis: Contextual correlates and the link to work engagement. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 1120 – 1141
- Slemp, G.R. and Vella-Brodrick, D.A. (2013). The job crafting questionnaire: A new scale to measure the extent to which employees engage in job crafting. International Journal of Wellbeing, 3(2), 126 – 146. doi:10.5502/ijw.v3i2.1
- Tims, M. and Bakker, A.B. (2010). Job crafting: Towards a new model of individual job redesign. South African Journal of Industrial Psychology, 36: 1 – 9
- Tims, M., Bakker, A.B., & Derks, D. (2012). Development and validation of the job crafting scale. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80: 173 – 186
- Wrzesniewski, A. and Dutton, J.E. (2001). Crafting a job: Revisioning employees as active crafters of their work. Academy of Management Review, 26: 179 – 201