The aim is to analyze what characterizes the work of special needs teachers and what collaborations they engage in in schools for students with intellectual disability. Special needs teachers with degrees from three different universities in southern Sweden participated in the survey. The results show that a majority of the respondents had long experience before they started the special needs training program and they describe the direct encounters with students in the classroom as an important part of their work. Supervision and subject-development also exist, but not to the same extent as classroom teaching.
- Anderson, L., & Östlund, D. (2017). Assessments for learning in grades 1-9 in a special school for students with intellectual disability in Sweden. Problems of Education in the 21st Century, 75(6), 508-524
- Bryman, A. (2012). Social Research Methods. Oxford: University Press.
- Causton-Theoharis, J., Theoharis, G., Orsati, F., & Cosier, M. (2011). Does Self-Contained Special Education Deliver on Its Promises? A Critical Inquiry into Research and Practice. Journal of Special Education Leadership, 24(2), 61-78.
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2007). Research Methods in Education (7th Ed.). London: Routledge.
- Collins, B., Karl, J., Riggs, L., Galloway, C., & Hager, K. (2010). Teaching core content with real-life applications to secondary students with moderate and severe disabilities. Teaching Exceptional Children, 43 (1), 52-59. https://doi.org/10.1177/004005991004300106.
- Creswell, J.W. (2014). A concise introduction to mixed methods research. Sage Publications.
- Kearns, J.F., Towles-Reeves, E., Kleinert, H.L., & Kleinert, J.O. (2009). Characteristics of and implications for students participating in alternate assessments based on alternate academic achievement standards. The Journal of Special Education, 45, 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022466909344223.
- Moljord, G. (2018). Curriculum research for students with intellectual disabilities: a content-analytic review. European Journal of Special Needs Education 33(5). https://doi.org/10.1080/08856257.2017.1408222.
- Shurr, J., & Bouck, E. (2013). Research on curriculum for students with moderate and severe intellectual disability: A systematic review. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 48, 76-87.
- Swedish National Agency for Education (2018). Statistics special needs teacher in special school 2016-2017.