Jesuit colleges in Cusco: San Bernardo and San Francisco Borja. Art and architecture in the light of the inventories of 1768
The most famous architectural complex associated with the Jesuit order in colonial Cusco, was the college and church of the Transfiguration, located in the main square of the city. Monks of the Society of Jesus focused on evangelisation and teaching, which led to creation of subsequent monastic foundations. There were two schools in Cusco: one of them was intended for descendants of conquistadors (Colegio de San Bernardo), and the other one for sons of Andean caciques (Colegio de San Francisco Borja). Each of them was located in its own architectural complex, and one of the necessary conceptual elements of the complexes was a chapel intended for students. There are quite a few sources and studies concerning the history of both schools, and the interior decoration of the chapels located at the colleges has been reconstructed on the basis of the preserved inventories, drawn up at the time of expulsion of Jesuits and takeover of their property. The author of the article concentrates on reconstruction of the decoration, showing it in the cultural and artistic context of the region.