The purpose of this article is to use North Norwegian legends and show how these oral stories have been used in the education at the Institute for Teacher Education and Pedagogic, University of Tromsø - Norway’s arctic university since the time I started this project at the end of the 1990s period. Here, there will be given a definition and expansion for the types of legends that exists, what was stated about it in the lecture plan (L97) at the time, and what created the basis for this research. An important part of this work was to collect legends in order to document this traditional material for later, as a contribution to North Norwegian cultural history and, thereby, as a gateway to establish knowledge structures.
- Arntzen, R., Danielsen, R., & Lyhmann, K. (2001). Suddenly, there was a tale. About stories and storytellers. College of Østfold.
- Bjerkem, J.E. (2004). The narrative pedagogy. Folk poetry before and now. Gyldendal Norwegian Publisher.
- Bjørklid, B. (2009). Puma. Roman. Arctic Publisher.
- Danielsen, R. (2003). Culture bearing tales, children and schools. Cappelen Damm.
- Drannikova, N., & Larsen, R. (2007): In the footprints of the Chuds. Chuds in the historical sources, predanies and legends of Northern Norway and Arkhangelsk Oblast. Arctic Publisher.
- Drannikova, N., & Larsen, R. (2008). Representations of the Chudes in Norwegian and Russian Folklore. Acta Borealia: A Nordic Journal of Circumpolar Societies, 25 (1), 58 - 72.
- Dysthe, O. (1999). Words on new tracks. Introduction to processoriented writing pedagogy. The Norwegian Samlaget.
- Gaarder, I.M. (1992). Spells and draugtongue. About spirits in Norwegian folklore and fairy tales. J.W. Cappelen Publisher.
- Grambo, R. (1984). Folkloric handbook. Oslo: University Publisher.
- Hauan, M.A., & Bolstad Skjelbred, A.H. (1995). Between legend and reality in the North Norwegian tradition. Wit & Knowledge.
- Hekneby, G. (2003). Disc read write the beginner education in Norway. University Publisher. Kunnskapssenteret.com.
- Larsen, R., & Levit, L. (2008). Norwegian folklore. A teaching aid for Russian speakers. Arctic Publisher.
- Skjelbred, D. (1999). The student’s text a basis for writing education. Cappelen Academi cal Publisher.
- Solberg, O. (1999). Norwegian folk poetry: literaryhistorical lines and thematic perspec tive. LNu. Cappelen Academical Publisher.
- Storjord, T. (1991). Lulesami’s folk tales and legends. College of Bodø, writing series no. 2.
- The Big Norwegian Encyclopedia (2009). The teacher plan of 1997.