Anhui is one of the leading knowledge-based regions of China, which relies on academic research innovation. This publication aims to present the factors that influence of plagiarism on Chinese students and also explores the common perceptions of students themselves on the idea and act of plagiarism in higher level education environments. The literature provided identifies two major facets of plagiarism, which are both internal and external factors. Qualitative evidence from students demonstrates that both internal and external factors encourage Chinese students to plagiarize during their studies due to the availability of the internet (ICT and Web), lack of teaching expertise, poor academic skills, pressure from family members and peer groups, and financial constraints. It was also found that personal pride played a significant role in catalyzing the decision to plagiarize. On the basis of the said literature and qualitative evidence, the authors provide relevant recommendations about overcoming the concerns of students regarding plagiarism at the university level.
- Abbas, A., Avdic, A., Barker, K.C., & Xiaobao, P. (2018). Knowledge transfer from universities to industry through university technology transfer offices. Science and Innovation, 14(2), 05 – 18. doi: 10.15407/scine14.02.005.
- Abbas, A., Avdic, A., Xiaobao, P., Hasan, M. M., & Ming, W. (2018). University-government collaboration for the generation and commercialization of new knowledge for use in industry. Journal of Innovation & Knowledge. doi: 10.1016/j.jik.2018.03.002.
- ARWU-Shanghai. (2018). Best Chinese universities ranking - Overall ranking 2017 Retrieved from http://www.shanghairanking.com/Chinese_Universities_Rankings/Overall-Ranking-2017_1.html
- Hefei-China. (2018). Hefei overview. Retrieved from http://www.hefei.gov.cn/english/23177/overview/200510/t20051025_1396929.html
- Jereb, E., Urh, M., Jerebic, J., & Šprajc, P. (2017). Gender differences and the awareness of plagiarism in higher education. Social Psychology of Education, 1 – 18. doi: 10.1007/s11218-017-9421-y.
- (2018). Top Universities. Retrieved from https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-science-technology-china
- Quraishi, U., & Aziz, F. (2017). Academic dishonesty at the higher education level in Punjab, Pakistan. Journal of Research & Reflections in Education, 11(1), 68 – 85.
- Shahabuddin, S. (2009). Plagiarism in academia. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 21(3), 353 – 359.
- Šprajc, P., Urh, M., Jerebic, J., Trivan, D., & Jereb, E. (2017). Reasons for plagiarism in higher education. Organizacija, 50(1), 33 – 45. doi: 10.1515/orga-2017-0002.
- Vehviläinen, S., Löfström, E., & Nevgi, A. (2018). Dealing with plagiarism in the academic community: Emotional engagement and moral distress. Higher Education, 75(1), 1 – 18. doi: 10.1007/s10734-017-0112-6.