ART FOUNDATION OF JOHANN JAKOB KANON BRUNETTI FOR THE WROCŁAW CATHEDRAL
The text concerns the creation of the first Baroque chapel erected at the southern aisle of the Wrocław cathedral in 1672, and its interior. The founder of the chapel was Wrocław Canon Johann Jakob Brunetti (1629–1692), who came from Massa di Carrara, Tuscany and was laid to rest in the chapel’s crypt along with his brother Johann (1646–1703), the assistant bishop. Despite its modest size the work deserves attention for its preserved decor – the altar and two epitaphs made of Dębnik marble and rich acanthus frieze, contrasting with the dome’s vault, decorated with coffers and rosettes. The applied forms indicate good knowledge of both Italian Renaissance and early Baroque traditions displayed by the designer of the work, Carlo Rossi, who came from the vicinity of Como, Lombardy. It makes the chapel an interesting work of art of dual stylistic character, which along with the chapel of St. Cross at the Church of BVM on Piasek Island, initiated the erection of further works of this type at the cathedral and at the Dominican and Premonstratensian churches in Wrocław.